Monday, November 20, 2017

Chic Hairstyles: Part 1


Taming hair in the morning is stressful and time consuming, but what if there was a way to speed up this process. Well, there is! This hairstyle is both quick and easy, while still being elegant. It also suits all hair types from curly to straight and short to long! 

A book called  Braid, Buns, and Twists by Christina Butcher gives chic hairstyles that can be worn for all occasions. It provides simple how-to illustrations and photographs showing these breathtaking styles.




The first hairstyle I tried was the French Braid. I was interested in this hairstyle because the book stated “The French Braid sits close to your head and is a beautiful way to wear your hair up” (Butcher, 42). This means that this braid is a good way to get your hair out of your face. It also means the braid should start off tight so it is close to the head. From that I learned I had to start with smaller pieces of hair to achieve that. When I modeled this hairstyle on someone else, I started by using a basic braiding technique. Then, I started adding small sections of hair from each side all the way back down their head. Lastly, I secured the hairstyle with an elastic.

Tip: Make sure that the sections you add in are even (Butcher, 43). This is a really important tip because it helped me keep the braid keep straight.
Overall, I recommended this hairstyle because it is quick and easy to do. There are many variations to wear this braid, you can wear it loose for an effortless look or tightly for a more sophisticated one. It is very versatile and can be used on all hair types!
Would you wear a French Braid? If so, how would you  personalize it?
Make sure to read my next blog post to see what the next hairstyle will be!







Citation:
Butcher, Christina. Braids, Buns, and Twists!: Step-by-Step Tutorials for 82 Fabulous Hairstyles. Apple Press, 2015.



5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post! The part about getting even pieces to keep the braid straight was very interesting and I will have to try it next time I braid. To answer the question you asked, I would wear a French Braid and possibly personalize it by doing two braids instead of one. Would you wear a two French Braids?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jaden, I really appreciate the feedback! I think your idea about modifying the hairstyle by doing two braids is very original. I would definitely wear two French braids and I'll have to try it next time I style my hair!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Marley! This is a great post! :) I think that your braid turned out really great :) I found it interesting that braiding smaller pieces of hair close to the model's head worked better for this hairstyle. Did you try the braid once with larger pieces and it didn't work or did you know from the book or experience that smaller pieces would make the braid more successful? I have worn a French braid before, but I have a LOT of trouble doing it on myself. I wish I could braid hair as well as you! That braid looks so amazing! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire, I'm glad you enjoyed my post! To answer your question, I did try this braid before using bigger strands of hair. The bigger strands made the layers of my models hair stick out. Using the technique of smaller strands helped achieve a close to the head look. Since you are having trouble doing yourself, a tip I have is to always use your dominant hand when you add pieces of hair into your braid to insure a put together look!

      Delete