Thursday, November 23, 2017

Understanding Perspective

Olivia Nguyen
Understanding Perspective by Stephanie Bower

Ever see those hipster artists in a Seattle coffee shop. Most likely these artists are doing something called drawing on location. It is a great way to save memories of where you have been.

A book called Understanding Perspective by Stephanie Bower features many artists from Seattle. The book teaches you skills and terms you need to make your own perspective drawing.


Bower says "A common error in eye-level sketches is to put the vanishing point a little too high, in effect raising your eye-level and 'floating'" (Bower 43). Your vanishing point is one of the most important parts of starting your sketch because it bases where everything will be in your drawing. So when I did my eye-level sketch (which is a perspective sketch set at eye-level) I made sure to set it not too high other wise my whole sketch would be off.

The follow along sketch I decided to do from the book is a elevation eye-level sketch. An elevation sketch can be described as a your line of sight perpendicular to the building face. Basically straight forwards from you (Bower 18). When I was drawing the sketch I kept in  mind the line of sight should be perpendicular to the building's face. If you look closely at the drawing you may be able to see my vanishing point line.

The building I drew took about 30-45 minutes to do. The landscaping in the drawing could use some work, but my building is pretty good. I used a Pang watercolor 8 set, Bic pencil, Notebook paper, Pentel waterbrush pen, and a pen.

Make sure you keep up with my posts to see my progress and more artwork to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment