Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Drawing: Carrots and Pumpkins

The most creative side of people tends to come out when they're bored, which most often happens at school. Granted, the teachers and students are amazing, but sometimes it's just doesn't work out. Doodling is the result, and it happens everywhere. A notebook, a scratch piece of paper, even the homework sheet that is supposed to be turned in. But the question is, what to draw? One cannot simply scribble everywhere, that offers no sense of accomplishment. In Sachiko Umoto's book Illustration School: Let's Draw Plants and Small Animals, she provides hundreds of ideas for little drawings and doodles. They say that learning begins by imitating, so that is what I am attempting to do. To imitate these drawings, and ultimately, produce something that I can be proud of. In Chapter 2, A Harvest Festival of Fruits and Vegetables, there is a page for carrots and pumpkins. A step by step process for each object is given, and these two drawings are no different. To draw a carrot, one simply must "1. Draw the outline of the vegetable and the base to which the stalks and leaves are attached. 2. Draw the stalks and leaves. 3. Draw the grooved lines on the carrot and a wavy line around the leaves" (Umoto 92). Though it may seem a little vague at first, these instructions are helpful in that they remind the artist, me in this case, to take it slow, and draw layer by layer instead of trying to draw all at once. The pumpkin has similar instructions, suggesting to start from the center and work towards the outer edge of the shape, drawing an outline and lining everything up (Umoto 92). I found the pictures provided and the instructions given to be useful. Being a visual learner, I like to see what the finished product is supposed to look like and be given the steps to get there. In this book, I was able to learn my way and it helped me to produce cute, autumn food doodles that I am proud of.



If you draw, why? What does it help you with? How might being given simple drawings and a step by step process help you to learn about your own capabilities and learning style?

Umoto, Sachiko. Illustration School: Let's Draw Plants and Small Creatures. Quarry Books, 2010.


6 comments:

  1. Bethany, I love how you were able to take a plain shape and turn it into something recognizable. Your drawings look great! I enjoy drawing when I have free time. I think being given simple drawings and a step by step process can help you gain confidence in your abilities, and teach you how to create something that might have appeared very challenging at first. Do you think this book is helping you improve on your skills?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Bryanna! This book is very helpful in improving my art skills. As mentioned previously, it provides step by step instructions of how to draw things. They do look complex at first, but when I follow the steps, it's broken down into something that I am capable of producing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bethany, You did a great job showing how a doodle or drawing is created. you showed us step by step, the process and that really helps the viewer see what a doodle is made of. I agree with you, that you can't doodle just anything and you have to start somewhere and with that i was wondering if this book has been giving you more and more ideas on what to doodle the next time you get bored?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Keerat! Yes, this book has been very helpful to me. There are TONS of ideas, from plants and trees to small animals and insects. I definitely will not struggle in finding something to draw next time I feel the urge to create a little something.

      Delete
  4. I love how detailed the carrot stem it is. Drawing is one of my passions and an easy activity to pass time. These doodles would be great for a bullet journal. Would you ever bullet journal or have you ever?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Olivia! So sorry for the late reply. I have heard of a bullet journal and I do do something very similar to it. I have never considered putting these in the journal, but that would be a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete