Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Getting Started: Goal Setting and Planning

"But thanks to mentors who believed in me, hard work, and perseverance, I have been able to rise to the top tier of one of the world's premier ballet companies and to achieve a life balance that makes me feel centered and whole" (Copeland xi). These are the words of Misty Copeland, the first African american principal dance at the American Ballet Theater, a world famous company.

In her third book Ballerina Body: Dancing and Eating Your Way to a Leaner, Stronger, and More Graceful You, Copeland shares the advice she has acquired in her rather short career. Her impressive confidence and strength after a difficult past shines through her advice. Misty went from being told she wasn't skinny enough to be a professional dancer as a teenager, to becoming one of the worlds best. Her story continues to inspire many young girls.

Ballerina Body is a self-help book, to guide someone through their journey of becoming content, fit and healthy. Copeland has split her book into four parts: mind, motion, meals, and mentors. My first post will focus on her tips from the first section, mind.

Copeland describes the book as a guide through a journey of self improvement. In the first section, she explains how to prepare for this improvement on a mental level. "If you don't have clarity about what you want to accomplish, you can't plot how you will get there" (Copeland 12).
She gives the following tips:
  • Keep a Finish Line in Sight: Always try to accomplish your goals and set new, more challenging goals once you have . 
  • Gain Motivation: Take in motivation from the little things around you to help you grow and develop more confidence about your accomplishments. 
  • Visualization: Visualize what the end result may be, think about how content and satisfied you will feel when you meet your goals. 
  • Keep a Journal: Make a scheduled time in your daily routine to reflect on the days progress, record how you feel and why. 
(Copeland 11-16). 


I will be using all of of these techniques myself and for a tangible record, I will be keeping a journal to reflect on how I feel.



After some thinking about me as a dancer and person right now, I've though about things I could improve on. I have decided to set the following goals:
  1. I will try a variety of exercises to help strengthen the muscles in my body, and to become stronger overall. Specifically, I want to focus on core and leg muscles. 
  2. I will work harder to improve my balance, which is something I struggle with. Strengthening my core will also help me find my center. 
  3. I will maintain focus and motivation through techniques like visualization, and thinking about how I will feel in the future after my goals are accomplished. 
  4. I will eat a more balanced diet containing fruits and vegetables, to help support the new lean muscle I will be working toward.


Though these are complex, I feel they are a right fit for me right now.

What goals have you set in your life? Do you have any advice or tips for staying motivated through the journey? What helped to keep you on track?

Copeland, Misty, et al. Ballerina Body: Dancing and Eating Your Way to a Lighter, Stronger, and More Graceful You. Sphere, 2017.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Grace, great post! I know with dancing as well my schedule can be crazy and having a journal would be so helpful. With practices and workouts I know it can be really hard to keep up, this was a very smart. Do you think it has helped? Do you see improvement?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting Mia! The journal definitely helps me keep up with a busy schedule. So far, I have been improving my diet by substituting different foods in and out. This has helped me by giving me more energy and focus. I can apply this to both dance, and my overall life.

      Delete
  2. This is an amazing post, Grace! I really like how you organized a journal, depicting a multitude of goals to accomplish over the course of this unit. The goals you have created will keep you greatly motivated, I can not wait to see what you post next! My main goals that I have set are to maintain good grades and to stay in shape (eat healthy, exercise). One thing to keep in mind that will help you stay motivated throughout this exciting journey is to think of the outcome - that it will all be worth in the end. What are some other things that you are planning to do for the next couple of blogs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your nice reply Raina! I wish you good luck in accomplishing your goals! Also, that's a great tip. For my next posts, I hope to document my improvement and progress in fulfilling my goals (dedicating one post to every goal).

      Delete
  3. Very nice post grace! I really like the tips and tricks you give in this post. My schedule can be crazy at times and its hard to manage but if i use your tips on goal setting i feel that i could manage my day better. From now on I will keep a journal with my goals on it to motivate me. Since you have started this do you go about your daily life differently than before?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for commenting Kasyn! I definitely think my life has become a little more organized than before. I am able to plan my days ahead of time and know what I have to do, and when to do it.

    ReplyDelete