Thursday, November 30, 2017

How to Keep your Closet Clean and Organized

I've always been interested in fashion. Not directly the sewing part, but the part where you put outfits together. Recently this year, I've been more into my style. The only issue is, I need room to put everything. But due to my new findings of The Cheap Chica's Guide to Style by Lilliana Vazquez, I have learned how to effectively organize my closet and my style, along with many other useful tips and habits.

Today, I will be focusing on how to keep a clean closet and buy only what you need for your wardrobe.

Now, when I first read this book, Lilliana talked about how "Twice a year- during the winter-to-spring and summer-to-fall seasonal transitions I'll outline in this chapter, I'll purge my closet" (Vazquez, 94). Due to it being that summer-to-fall transitioning time, I decided to clean out my closet.

At first, It seemed like an impossible challenge. I used to stuff everything in my closet that didn't look good in my room, so this would take some work. I started with clearing out any trash, ripped clothes and random items that didn't belong in a closet like miscellaneous boxes, socks and trinkets. This already cleared out a lot of room for opportunity.

The "keep" pile when sorting 

Next, I took all of my clothes out of my closet and set them in piles of need/like, don't need, and donate. In the book, Lilliana explains what you should discard. "Anything you haven't worn in a year... anything that doesn't fit you anymore... anything that was once trendy but isn't anymore... and anything that isn't flattering or makes you feel anything but fabulous." (Vazquez 98). This all made perfect sense to me "Why would I keep anything that I'm never going to wear?" I thought to myself. This and some music made the process go way faster than I expected.


I ended up having a good amount in each pile. I continued by taking my donate pile and putting it all in a trash bag to let my sister look though. She ended up finding some things she liked before I donated it to a Value Village near by along with my don't need pile.

My jewelry storage organized by type, mostly earrings 

The next step in the process was to put everything back. This was the easy part. I divided up my remaining "keep" clothes into what i needed to hang up and what could be put in a drawer. Vazquez talks about on pages 216 through 221 that you should fold sweaters in a drawer, store shoes in a shoe rack, loop belts through a hanger, place scarves in a bin, hang purses on a wall hook, necklaces on a decorative wall hook and rings on a small ring holder or cute display, I took all of these tips into consideration when re-putting-back-together my closet.

My closet put back together arranged by use and necessity 

In the end of the final process, I donated and cleared out around 2 full garbage bags full of clothes and other things I didn't need. It felt good that i cleaned out my closet, knew how to properly store everything, and possibly gave someone a new shirt or coat that was once mine. I hope that you can benefit from my learning experiences and prioritized your closet too!

Have you tried to ever clean out your closet? What are some things that you could've changed or gone better? Will you use these tips the next time you do a spring or fall cleaning?

Source: Vazquez, Lilliana. The Cheap Chica's Guide to Style: Secrets to Shopping Cheap and Looking Chic. Gotham, 2013.

7 comments:

  1. Great post Katie! I really loved how your post was concise and provided pictures to match the variety of techniques you employed. I have definitely tried to clean out my closet, which was an extremely long and tedious process, but the end result was worth the amount of work I put in. Looking back when I organized my closet, I would have used your tips to sort the clothes into different piles instead of storing my clothes one by one. Would you say that keeping a closet neat and clean year-round can influence the look and feel of a bedroom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much William! I would say that yes, keeping a neat closet has helped influence the feel of my room because whenever I see that my closet is clean, I feel like the rest of my room should be the same way, which is a nice motivator. I have also found that the rest of my life is more organized and tranquil whenever my surrounding area is clean and tidy.

      Delete
  2. Awesome Post! I really enjoyed how you where truthful about how you used to keep your room, we all know what its like. The vast majority of pictures where also extremely helpful. What about your self discipline do you think improved? In terms of being able to get rid of the useless items rather than keeping them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! i think my self discipline improved a lot because now whenever I go shopping or am thinking about buying things, I have to think "Do I really need this or will I end up not wearing it and have it take up space?", which really helps me budget my needs versus my wants.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic post Katie! I enjoyed reading your post because I can relate. I have trouble keeping my room clean especially keeping my closet organized. However, after reading your post I now have learned how I to can keep organized! After cleaning your closet would you say it is easier to select outfits?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Covaughn! Yes, I do say its easier to pick and choose outfits because all of the clothes I'm looking for are in one place and right where I need them. If I need something specific, i know right where it is and find it in a timely matter.

      Delete