Monday, November 30, 2015

Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course - Jack Thorsland

What makes one pianist stand out from the others? what makes one pianist great? 

Hello Everyone! For me, learning piano was an easy choice. I believe that the piano is the most important instrument in music. It is arguable that the drums may be considered more important, due to them being the first of instruments, but the ability to play piano opens many doors in the musical universe. This consists of; The ability to identify notes, to gain a "musical ear", and to learn why things generally sound good or bad. Upon beginning my book, i learned one thing. There is a science to playing musical instruments correctly, actual theories that revolve around what makes a player not just good, but great.

The first words of my book, are quite literally "BE KIND TO YOUR HANDS!" (Palmer 4) The author is VERY confident in his belief of hand condition. He explains how it is necessary to wear gloves every time I have to lift a heavy object, or even use hand tools such as screwdrivers or wrenches. This is only the beginning. (Palmer 4)

"Before practicing, it is good to soak the hands for a few minutes in warm water. This promotes circulation. Many concert pianists use very warm water on their hand before beginning to play. Towel the hands vigorously until they are dry, then hold your arms out with the hands dangling from the wrist, and shake out your hands rapidly for a few moments." (Palmer 4)

I have already changed my outlook on playing piano. what Palmer is explaining is that there is much more to playing the piano, then just pressing your fingers against the keys. The conditions of your hands, and the way you prepare them upon practicing or even performing, these are the traits that differentiate those who are mediocre at piano, and those who can be great.

Now, looking back on my question, i answer with this statement, feel free to quote this one day.

The ability to play piano is not influenced by the time you practice, but the manner in which you practice, and the manner in which you prepare.


This one is for you Mr. Palmer! 

Honestly, dipping my hands in warm water was one of the best ideas ever. All the activities that involve using fingers are benefitted, especially playing the piano.


2 comments:

  1. I think that the views of Mr. Palmer are very interesting and your post has changed my views of piano playing as well. I played piano in the past and I had never considered the science aspects of it or something as seemingly not important as hand condition. I hope to try this one day and that you keep up the good work. You are doing a great job at portraying the works and beliefs of Mr. Palmer and I wish you luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only played the piano a few times an after reading this as well as reading the results i will now have to try this out myself. this was such an inspiring idea for me! Good job to you as well!

    ReplyDelete