Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Organic High Protein Granola Bars


In anticipation for a ten mile trail run, I decided to try a simple granola bar recipe to help keep me fueled while running the windy trails. Granola bars are an easy source of energy and the recipe I chose is simple with only five ingredients.

Ingredients:
1 cup packed dates, pitted
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup creamy salted peanut butter
1 cup roasted unsalted almonds, loosely chopped
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
optional: chocolate chips, dried fruit, nuts

The overall process of making these granola bars did take a little longer than expected. They have to freeze overnight after they are baked to help them set. However, the prep time was definitely worth it. I packed one into my vest for my trail run and enjoyed it as a quick snack. I would definitely recommend this recipe, just make sure you don't need the granola bars right away!

I made a quick stop to enjoy my simple and organic granola bar and also take in the beautiful views from the trail. Fall is still hanging on.

*Side Note: The peanut butter and chopped almonds gave me a nice boost of energy while running. I think next time I will include chocolate chips into my recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment