Saturday, November 28, 2015

Photography with Kayla Treat

Read This if You Want to Take Great Photographs by Henry Carroll

This book contains many pages of wisdom and tips for the photography basics. I chose photography because it is one of my interests and passions. It all started from my grandpa who would always come to my events to take pictures of me and I just thought that whole idea of capturing a moment for keeps was interesting. When I got my first small compact camera I knew that photography was something that id love to do.

In one of the early pages it gives the tip to "Be offish" (Carroll 22). What he meant by this was to not always have your subject centered right into the middle the shot. It can seem repetitive and lack interest. The way it offers to fix this is to use the rule of thirds. It means by putting a grid of 3x3 over your image and cropping it to have the subject in one of the thirds. Based off of this, I took a photo of mine that had the subject centered and I used the rule of thirds to change it up.

On the other hand of this rule, some professionals don't use it so precisely. "Many photographers will split at the mere sight of the rule of thirds because it can feel too calculated" (Carroll 22). The book says that many don't even use the actual grid. When they take the picture they will purposely just take the shot with it off center. This is just a easier way to add the balance without having to be so precise about it.

Overall the interesting thing about this tip is the simplest change to an image can make a large difference in the image depending on the subject.

Before
Using Rule of Thirds

I feel that this picture can have good aspects to it with or without using the rule. Before the rule it shows nice symmetry and after it shows a balance. Do you think the picture is better with it off center or in the middle of the frame? Feel free to leave your opinion in the comments below. 

2 comments:

  1. This is really cool, Kayla! It's interesting to see how you can find perfection in an imperfect or "offish" photograph. It's great to hear that your grandfather's passion also became a passion of yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kayla, I didn't know you could take pictures and edit them to this effect. Personally I think the photo looks better when it is centered because it captures the full effect of each little part of the photo. Also by using a couple of color backgrounds you are able to show many levels and go in-depth about the gloom of the photo

    ReplyDelete