Monday, November 30, 2015

Running Through The 6

Isaiah Eller

This Saturday I went on my first run while reading my book. My 'how-to' book is called Brain Training for Runners by Matt Fitzgerald. On Saturday I went to the Soos Creek trail, near Kentridge, and ran a measly 6 miles. "Few runners know that one of the major differences between top runners and average runners is that top runners are actually able to use a much higher percentage of the muscle fibers in their "running muscles". The most effective way to increase the number of usable fibers in your muscles is to run at maximum intensity, and the best time to do this type of running is early in the training process." (Fitzgerald 9) This quote really motivated me to work hard on my runs now so that I will be able to run faster once the Track and Cross Country seasons hit. To show this I ran the six miles on Saturday in approximately 40 minutes and 1 second, for an average pace of 6:40 per mile. This was difficult for me, but I know in the long run it will pay off. This week I plan to run on the Lindbergh track prior to swim practice and continue to focus on putting in maximum effort. I consider this run a key workout of mine. "Key workouts are runs that are challenging enough to result in a high level of fatigue. They administer a greater training stress and provoke a stronger adaptive response than less challenging runs. Key workouts are therefore critical feature of any effective workout plan." (Fitzgerald 15) Because of this I am planning on doing two or three tough 'key workouts' that will help me with my training plan and later success. What kind of runs should I try this week? Are there any nice trails or places that you guys like to go work out on?

1 comment:

  1. How often do you run? You seem to be pretty killer at cross country. Keep it up! And how do you keep so focused on running for so long, id get bored.

    ReplyDelete