Monday, November 30, 2015

Eating Paleo with Elise Jones

Having "gone paleo" before, I have had a continuing interest in the topic, therefor leading me to read the book Practical Paleo, and have learned more about the fundamentals, and purposes around the paleo lifestyle. I'd like this first post to explain what the paleo way of eating is, and what it does for the human body. First off, it is not considered a diet, it is a change in one's lifestyle that leads to long-term health benefits. Also, when hearing about paleo; people commonly think "why would I eat like that, didn't cavemen only live to be 30?". This belief can be shattered with the fact that there is now modern medicine, lack of vulnerability to predatory animals, and the average person is less vulnerable to the elements due to advancements in shelter....you know advancements in the basic needs of survival.  Instead of harming, paleo has actually proven to heal a person's body, "It has helped countless individuals overcome what were seemingly insurmountable, chronic, or even unrecognizable health problems." (Sanfilippo, 18).
 
To summarize the author's views and opinions: the paleo lifestyle surrounds the idea to eat whole foods and avoid modern, possessed, and refined foods. Also today's modern, factory made foods  have commonly led to child-obesity, behavioral disorders, early-onset puberty, and autoimmune conditions. This can be explained with how the USDA's guidelines are not based on sound and scientific theories, and are more set on illogical and potentially dangerous hypothesis, whose use is to mass produce food in order to mass produce food to feed the world's growing population. Where as foods involved with eating paleo are nearly identical to what is already in nature.(Sanfilippo, 32). These reasons have influenced me to choose this lifestyle, and the following ideals will be incorporated into the recipes I prepare from the book.
 
Do eat whole foods...
  • meat, seafood, and eggs 
    • pasture raised, cage free, vegetarian fed, free range, naturally raised, organic, natural, or wild caught
  • vegetables and fruits 
    • local, and/or organic
  • nuts and seeds
    • local, and/or organic
  • fats and oils
    • organic, cold-pressed, and from well -raised animal sources
Don's eat refined foods...
  • refined grains
  • whole grains (today's whole grains are still refined and produced in factories)
  • packaged snacks
  • dairy products
  • certain beverages
  • sweeteners (yes, this does include sugar)
The ideals of paleo, commonly scare people away, because of how this way of eating cuts out foods that are most familiar to them. "We live in a time when up is down and black is white. We have been taught to believe that the foods coming out of factories are safer and healthier than foods your great-grandmother ate." (Sanfilippo, 32) I believe this is a significant quote from the text, as it explains how people are so used to eating what the government produces, that most people don't realize that going back to the basics would be the best thing for them.


The paleo lifestyle is not for everyone, as it takes quite a bit of knowledge and a lot of commitment. But given the increase of organic foods and places to get these foods, it has made the paleo lifestyle as easy as ever. Which leaves the question, would you try going paleo, or not?
 

5 comments:

  1. I would not try going paleo- having committed to the vegetarian lifestyle, I would have a difficult time switching to the paleo lifestyle. However, this is an interesting blog topic! I can't wait to see what you discover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't want to because most of diet contains quite a few of the foods that aren't a part of the paleo lifestyle but I think this is would be a unique and healthy way to change it up a bit. Can't wait to see future posts on this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don' think that I would try going paleo because I like dairy products to much. Also every dinner we have in my house involves either whole grains or some kind of dairy product. If I was living on my own and making my own food then I might try going paleo because the health benefits would be really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very informative post! I learned a lot about paleo. I like that it's not a crash diet, but a lifestyle change. It seems like it has many benefits, but it would take a lot of work for me to take it up. Good work! :)

    ReplyDelete