Sunday, November 29, 2015

HTML & CSS - Creating a Website

We are convinced that computers are smart. It’s true but they aren’t very clever. They will only do what you want it to do, as long as you tell the computer to do it right. From a young age, I have always been enthralled by computers and how they work. I’ve grown familiar with the basics of computer programming and am eager to learn as much as I can about the fascinating machines and the different types of languages. Instead of doing an actual computer programming language, I had settled on learning how to use two markup languages called HTML and CSS to create and design my very own website. Although, creating and designing a website in an aesthetically pleasing way can be quite challenging, especially for a beginner, but Jon Duckett’s book breaks everything down in a simpler format. “Many books that teach HTML and CSS resemble dull manuals. To make it easier for you to learn, we threw away the traditional template used by publishers and redesigned this book from scratch.” (Duckett 5).



Within the first chapter of the book, I had learned the basic structure of a website. From this chapter, I had learned that HTML pages are basically text documents. HTML uses tags (< and >) which are often referred to as elements. They tell the computer when something starts or stops. “They act like containers and tell you something about the information that lies between them.” (Duckett 38). The opening <html> tag and ending </html> tag indicate that anything between them is the HTML code. The HTML code consists of the <body> element, the <head> element, and the <title> element that create the basic structure of your web page. With the code and the elements, you are telling your computer how to format your web page.

The book had taught me how to create a web page using an text editing application called TextWrangler on my Mac. Although the HTML code was simple, I was able familiarize myself with the basic structure of the HTML page. First, I had to download the TextWrangler application from barebones.com. Then, I used the text editing application to write the basic HTML code (below) I needed to create my very own web page. When I was able to pull up my creation on my web browser, I was excited, to say the least.

View on TextWrangler

View on Safari



Is web design worth learning? If you're planning on starting your own business or you have aspirations of creating a website like Facebook or Twitter, then the answer is yes, web design is worth learning. Personally, I had dreams of creating a website similar to Twitter or MySpace which is why I picked up HTML & CSS by Jon Duckett. "Understanding HTML and CSS can help anyone who works with the web; designers can create more attractive and usable sites, website editors can create better content, marketers can communicate with their audience more effectively, and managers can commission better sites and get the best out of their teams." (Duckett 5). Web design is important because aesthetic principles of a website play a big role when it comes to attracting an audience. The design of your web page helps with the organization of your website as well and creates a visual spark, something that attracts people. A simple web page like the one I created above would not attract as big of an audience as Facebook does.

Is web design hard to learn? It depends on who you are asking. Personally, I don't find it all that difficult to learn. Once you know the basics and the simple structure of the HTML and CSS languages, learning web design will be a breeze. 

Would you be up to learn HTML and CSS to create and build websites?

8 comments:

  1. I've never considered building my own website before! I also never considered all of the work and steps that go into building a website. This is a very interesting topic- I'm very curious to see what else you learn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! And web design isn't that complicated once you learn the basics. Although it is a lot of steps, it's pretty straight forward.

      Delete
  2. I would of never guessed that the creation of a website would be so complicated, this really surprised me. This is such a cool topic though! When you say you are creating websites, are you talking about informational sites? or something more sophisticated?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just a general website. It can be anything you want whether it be for business, for school, for cooking recipes.

      Delete
  3. I was in a web design class and it was really interesting to me at that time and still is! I love how by just typing codes you can make websites but I never learned how to actually display the website online I just learned how to "design" them using HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not displaying online (like on the internet). You can open a file by going to file and clicking on "open file" from there, you can open the document with your code in it.

      Delete
  4. dang, i didn't know how much work it takes just to make simple things show up on a website. hopefully youll be able to make it look fancy too! keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete