Monday, November 30, 2015

Chef Pres IRP- Baking Cookies


Preston Viltz

Meara

Honors English P4

Blog

November 30 2015


Hola! Yo soy Preston. I made a totally American snack for y'all to salivate to. I wanted to do cooking, more specifically baking for my project because I feel like it would be a good skill to know going into a relationship and during marriage... Uh sike I wanted to perfect this skill to make some tasty food for me and my family as well as Cor, Llama, and Chubbs. But to do this task I wanted to create something that I have never really had before. So I went to the library and picked out the book Baking by Natalie Chapman. I wanted to start my first dish off with a more simple cookie because I am new to baking and didn't want to get ahead of myself. The food I chose was the Peanut Butter Blossoms because personally I think chocolate and peanut butter bode well with each other in the sense of a cookie, so that was just what I was looking for. I have also never made this desert before. So first I gathered all ingredients listed:

List:

  • 1/4 cup shortening
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon backing powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 3/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar (For later)
  • 31 milk chocolate kisses

First I put all my dry ingredients into a bowl and here is a picture of me adding the flour to the bowl:


Then once I got all my ingredients together I mixed all of them to a paste-like substance with an electric mixer:


Next I rolled 31 balls of dough and covered them with the 1/4 cup sugar to coat the outside edge and placed them on the baking sheet to be ready for the oven:


After that I placed all the cookies into the oven at 350 to bake for 2 minutes and this is a picture of the cookies baking in the oven:


Lastly, when the 12 minutes had passed, I took the cookies out of the oven and quickly placed a chocolate kiss in the center of each cookie, and here is a picture of the finished project:


I was very pleased with my final outcome and received a couple compliments on the taste. I think this  dessert was the appropriate difficulty for me because I am just a beginner at baking. But I feel like this dish helped my skills and my next treat will be a little bit more difficult because each dish I become more experienced with baking. This was a very successful outcome to me and I am striving to make more snacks in the future.

The book also stated that to store my cookies I should "layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months". That is a very smart idea that I probably won't follow for a couple reasons: What is wax paper and where do you get wax paper. But thanks for the idea anyways Natalie!

I'll leave you guys with this:

Do you think these look bomb?

If you answered no to the question above you are not getting any and if you answered yes to the question then you still won't get any. Leave your answers below! ;)


Chapman, Natalie. Baking. Des Moines: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2013






3 comments:

  1. nice job dude, I think Mrs. Meara deserves one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Preston, I love how you took a careful step by step approach to baking instead of rushing through it. In response to your question, your cookies look very bomb and I would not hesitate to consume them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After you made these, I came to your house and ate two! you must have followed the steps very well and put it in the oven for the perfect amount of time. They were really good! the chocolate in the middle of the cookie was still in shape but melted in my mouth! nice job P, 10 out of 10 would reccomend

    ReplyDelete