Monday, November 23, 2015

Liz Franklin- Organization



The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo


My entire life, I've dealt with different ends of the spectrum of organization. My bedroom is my biggest issue, as it is the largest amount of space I am assigned to keeping clean. I have had my room completely organized for months at a time, while for up to a year I have had clothes all over the floor, everything in disarray. Different struggles with organization also include my bathroom, my backpack, and my binder. I have tried countless systems to keep everything in its place, but nothing seems to truly work. How can I employ a truly effective method of organization?






A higher level of organization is something I've been seeking for a while, but I have had virtually no idea where to start. I have formulated systems to keep my backpack and binder pretty well organized, but that has taken me 12 years of school to figure out. I can't imagine taking even longer for a bigger task of organization, such as my bedroom. This blog gives me the opportunity to reevaluate my organizational skills, and even my lifestyle. Upon recommendation, I bought the book "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up- the Japanese art of decluttering and organizing" by Marie Kondo.




Almost immediately after beginning to read the book, the author's message and stories of clients (yes, she does this for a living!) relieved me. Reportedly, "people who use the KonMari method never revert to clutter again." (Kondo pg. 4) This very vague statement made me curious- did everyone feel completely confident at all steps of completion of this method? I wasn't the only person to question her skills. One of her clients said to her, "You said that none of your clients have ever suffered rebound. But what if I'm the first?" (Kondo 64) Kondo later states that she is assured that every one of her clients will be successful if they use her method. This put my doubts to rest.




One of my initial reactions to reading this book was the mental/emotional and lifestyle changes this book will bring me. I had somewhat of an idea of how a lack of cleanliness can cause levels of anxiety, but I had no idea what an impact cleanliness and organization had on my life. I can relate to Kondo because she experienced levels of disorganization when she was a student. "I'd tackle the textbooks and papers littering the floor and begin arranging them in my bookcase. Finally, I'd open my desk drawer and start organizing my pens and pencils. Before I knew it, it would be two-thirty in the morning. Overcome by sleep, I'd jolt awake again at five and only by then, in a complete panic, would I open up my textbook and buckle down to study." (Kondo 20) This happens to me on occasion, especially before big tests or even finals. Kondo also writes, "Your goal is clearly in sight. The moment you have put everything in its place, you have crossed the finish line." (Kondo 31) I really enjoy completing tasks that have been difficult for me, and this will definitely be a difficult task. However, the challenges this task pose will only increase the sense of accomplishment I experience when I am truly organized. I can't wait to get started on this organizational journey!




4 comments:

  1. This looks like an exciting "organizational journey" and I can't wait to see what comes next! I'm looking forward to learning how to organize things of mine as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad I could be somewhat of an inspiration for others making changes such as these.

      Delete
  2. This looks really cool! Cleanliness and organization is super important to me so I understand when you talk about the emotional/mental changes you may encounter. I wish you luck on your organizational journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Parman! I'm glad you understand how I feel.

    ReplyDelete