Sunday, November 29, 2015

Camila Kang- Learning to Draw

Art can come to some people naturally, but the majority of us struggle. We can't even draw a perfect circle. We envy the people who says "I can't draw," but recreates the Mona Lisa in ten minutes tops. I wanted for awhile to improve my drawing skills, from drawing stick figures to actual people, which is why I decided to pick up a copy of Anyone can Draw by Barrington Barber.
In the text, he talks about the different elements of drawing, which I read of tone and shapes. He talks on about "what drawing is about at the most basic level. Put simply, its making marks on paper, and initially any marks will do" (Barber 10). Which is true. Artists have no boundaries in what they create. There can be many interpretations of one picture, which can create many different types of pictures. So one can be realistic or abstract, but show the same exact image they originate from.
He also explains that "many of the objects you will find in your kitchen are based on circles and squares" (Barber 27). Drawing is simple, but also takes practice to master the simple things of drawing like toning and finding shapes. While it took awhile to master in making a close to perfect circle, it was pretty rewarding when I finally learned that many objects in the world around us is circular. While he gives advice, he also give directions on draw. Some sample of what he said was to recreate some images in the book and real life.

Its not as bad, but when i apply the skills with real life objects, it becomes messy. I need to work on toning objects, and not over toning objects, especially glass, which are transparent and hard to find the shades. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Camilia, great job with the shading. I was actually trying to improve my drawing skills as well and couldn't get the shading right. I agree that it can be hard for a lot of people to learn, but you seem to be doing great. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete