Monday, November 30, 2015

Sierra Garcia: Crate Training

When we were first assigned this project, I had no idea which topic to choose. At first I was thinking something along the lines of baking or cooking, but then I realized that I really had no interest in that at all. I kept searching for a topic until my parents surprised me with a puppy as an early birthday present. Then it came to me, I would train my dog.

Here's a little background information on me. I've grown up surrounded by animals my whole life. My mom had found a Tuxedo cat (whom she named Ebony) under her dad's truck. Ebony was just a kitten, yet it seemed as if she had already be trained. This astonished my mom because she was so young and already knew some of the most common things that most cats have difficulty learning. I also had an English Bulldog named Topper. Although Topper was one of the best dogs I have ever encountered, he had no manners. My family and I tried to teach him certain things as a puppy but they never stuck with him. He only grasped the simple things like commands such as sit and heel.

Now that I have another dog, I understand that I have to train her while she is still impressionable. Her mind is a blank slate that I will now try to fill with positive training so that she can behave properly. 

So far, Rosie has been pretty manageable for a puppy as young as she is, but she does have problems with her crate. Dog crates are used as a place where one can feel safe. Not only this, but they are also used to keep them from getting into trouble when they are home alone.

As I put Rosie in her crate before I leave for school or even when I try to get her accustomed to the idea of it, Rosie shows all signs of discomfort. She either runs away, or if I can manage to place her in it and close the door, she cries for long periods of time. 

Throughout the week, I used the method of giving Rosie treats each time I placed her inside of the crate. "Once the puppy is in the crate, calmly close the door while he's in. Ignore him by turning your back by looking away for a few seconds. Immediately open the door and give the puppy a treat" (Swaim 84). This technique of rewarding your dog doesn't make them feel like they are getting disciplined but allows them to feel as if they did something good along with giving them the feeling that they are safe. 






Rosie after the week of crate training. 






1 comment:

  1. What type of dog is Rosie? She's cute bud. And what else do you plan on training her to do?

    ReplyDelete