Monday, November 30, 2015

Gifty Minhas- Soccer Tricks

Gifty Minhas

Ms. Meara

Honors English Period 4

Soccer Tricks




Hello to all! There are many things in this world that I love to do, but none more than play soccer. Soccer has been in my family since my grandfather who played professionally in India. My dad also played for a large part of his life and now I am keeping the sport going in the family. I started playing when I was 5 and the sport has been an integral part of my life ever since. When I learned that our IRP Quarter 2 is going to be about something we would like to improve, I knew the answer right away. Soccer has many aspects to it; shooting, passing, heading, dribbling, and juggling. Out of these aspects of the sport I have always wanted to improve my juggling in soccer the most.

The book I chose for this is Freestyle Soccer Tricks by Sean D'Arcy. I chose this book because it is by a world-renowned soccer freestyler and has clear and informative directions for each trick.

The first trick I learned is The Glory, this is a simple trick used to get the ball into the air in to start juggling.

  1. "Grip the ball between your ankles so tightly you can jump around and the ball doesn't fall out" (D'Arcy, 28) 
  2. "Use your stronger foot to roll the ball up the inside of your leg a high as you can while still holding it" (D'arcy. 29)
  3. "-The ball will bounce off your heel up into the air!" (D'Arcy, 30)

Step 1

Step 2 

Step 3





Do you guys think I should continue with these simple flicks or focus on advanced tricks in the book?

12 comments:

  1. Hey Gifted! Nice job with the tricks! Neil would be proud. Sean is one of the dopest freestylers I've seen and its cool that he has a book. Make Papa ji Proud with the work! Hanji!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Shariff! Much appreciated! Walekum Salaam!

      Delete
  2. This was very interesting! It's so unique how you can perform complicated tricks with a simple soccer ball. I'm interested in what you will post in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was really cool to see years of soccer training coming into cool tricks. I anticipate further tricks because they are really hard and it would be cool to see you do some awesome tricks. Maybe even come up with a trick of your own, that would be pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connor, I'll try making up my own trick soon, hopefully its impressive.

      Delete
  4. Wow Gifty this is a really cool trick! I am also a soccer player and I can tell that takes a lot of skill and dedication to learn. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really cool! Soccer seems very challenging. To answer your question, it'd be cool if you tried some difficult tricks. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok Gifty, I really think by you mastering these skills in soccer it will up your game even more. That looks like it took you lots of time and effort, keep going and striving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Gifty, very impressive! You show great talent showing us your highly skilled moves. I'm looking forward to see more tricks in the future, well done.

    ReplyDelete