Saturday, December 31, 2016

Snowflake Cookies



My first attempt at making sugar cookies did not go as I had hoped. Before beginning this project, a second time, I looked back at my previous blog post, which did anything but boost my confidence levels. Despite my previous failure, I still planned on actually decorating my second batch.
Upon flipping through the book, I came across some snowflake cookie. In comparison to the other cookies, they seemed fairly simple. But based on past baking experiences I knew they would not be nearly as easy as the book entailed.
In the book, Edwards recommends using her recipe for gingerbread cookies in order to stay consistent with the “winter theme”. However, I chose to stick the basic cookies and mastering those before moving on to more complex recipes. While the cookies were chilling in the freezer, I went over what went wrong with the last batch of dough. I soon came to the realization that we had used the wrong type of flour. Once I took the cookies out of the freezer, I immediately placed them in the oven at 350 for 9 minutes. Edwards recommends freezing them before baking to ensure the cookies maintain their shape.
I then began making the royal icing. On page 16 of her book, Bridget Edwards gives thorough instruction on making the icing.
Royal Icing Recipe:
-        ½ cup meringue powder
-        1 cup water
-        2 lbs. powdered sugar
-        2 tbsp. corn syrup
You begin by combining the meringue powder and water in a stand mixer until they are combined and frothy. After, you add the powdered sugar and corn syrup and mix again until fully combined. At this point, I was reminded of why I dislike baking so much.


The icing was too thick to be piped through the icing tip I would be using. I began thinning it out by adding small amount of warm water. Once it reached the right consistency, I scooped about a fourth of it into a piping bag. At this point, I had taken the cookies out of the oven and they had been left out long enough to cool. I piped a thin lining along the edge of the cookies. I scooped a fourth of what was left in the mixer into a separate bowl and tinted it a light blue color. 

I then thinned out the remaining icing until it reached the consistency of thick syrup and poured it into a squeeze bottle. With the icing in the squeeze bottle, I “flooded” the cookies by squeezing the watery icing within the lining I piped before. 

Once they were dry enough to finally pipe the snowflake design, I used the blue tinted icing and followed her design to the best of my abilities. I wasn’t satisfied with the first design and just continued with the different patterns. Edwards stated that, “the royal icing needs overnight time to dry thoroughly and the icing kind of ‘seals’ the cookie from getting stale.

               The next morning, I returned to the cookies to find they had hardened completely, just as they should have. I decided to take a bite of one and immediately regretted it. It sucked. Though that is mostly because royal icing is incredibly sweet, since it is made almost entirely of powdered sugar. What can I add to the icing next time to make the cookies a bit more enjoyable to eat? 

9 comments:

  1. I think your design turned out really well! To make your icing more enjoyable next time, you could add a little bit of lemon juice to thin it out and get rid of some of the sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ritu! I will definitely keep that in mind going forward with my future projects! Hopefully, I'll end up with a more delicious outcome.

      Delete
  2. Hey, Allison! The whole ordeal with the dough last time was really disappointing. I'm glad you figure out how to fix it! Maybe a way you could cut the sweetness of the frosting is to add more water, it might change the consistency but it definitely will dilute the flavor. Better luck next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sukhmani! I'm glad this batch turned out better too, baking it much more fun when you actually get edible results. Thanks for the tip! I have noticed that while making icing for flooding, the extra water does make it slightly less sweet.

      Delete
  3. i think your design turned out to be really well actually. Even though the last batch wasn't your best it still turned out really well for just beginning. And For your icing, you could add more water to have different consistency or texture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jorja! I did notice that the icing could have been more watery. I'll remember that while making my next batch to ensure the icing is at the ideal consistency for flooding.

      Delete
  4. i think your design turned out to be really well actually. Even though the last batch wasn't your best it still turned out really well for just beginning. And For your icing, you could add more water to have different consistency or texture

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cookies look like they turned out pretty well, and I love your snowflake design! An ingredient to add to your icing could be a little bit more milk to balance out the sweetness and thickness of the icing. Overall great job Allison!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Neetu! I tried this out with my most recent cookies. Rather than trying to thin out my icing with water, I used warm milk and it worked just the same. It definitely helped with the overall sweetness. Thanks!

      Delete