Monday, December 19, 2016

You Can Knit: BLOGMAS!!


Gauge Swatch: Worsted Stockinette Stitch 




Welcome to the first and only blog of BLOGMAS! In this blog I’ll show you guys how I learned the stockinette stitch. Learning how to make this stitch was pretty difficult at first because I had to learn how to make a new stitch. I didn’t know how to undo my stitches so whenever I made a mistake I started all over again, but as I kept knitting I got the hang of things and stopped making mistakes. Although, when I was binding off my swatch I messed up but I didn’t want to start all over again.



Materials:

-         - Medium yarn

-         - Size US 8 needles, or size needed to obtain gauge

-         - Measuring tape

-         - Scissors

-         - Yarn needle 


Gauge:

18 stitches x 24 rows = 4” (you don’t have to follow this; it is just a guide)


STEP 1 


Like the first swatch I made, the first step to making the worsted stockinette stitch is to cast-on. For this swatch you will cast-on 18 stitches.





 NOTE: The worsted stockinette swatch, you’ll need to know how to do two types of stitches, the knit and purl stitch. To learn how to do the knit stitch check out my last blog post. I’ll demonstrate the purl stitch in this one! 



STEP 2


Time to purl! Place the needle with the stitches in your left hand and the empty needle in your right hand. Take the empty needle and slip in through the loop of the first stitch, making sure the right needle is IN FRONT of the left needle. When you slip the needle through the first stitch be sure to slip it through from the top of the stitch. 


Once you slip the right needle through the first stitch your needles should form an X shape. While holding both needles with your left hand, with your right hand take the ball side of the yarn and “wrap the yarn counterclockwise around the right-hand needle” (White 45).


Now that the yarn is wrapped around the right needle “pull the right needle down the front of the left needle and up around the back of the left handed needle” (White 46). After you pull the stitch out, slip it off of the left needle. 



STEP 3 


Repeat step 2 until there are no more loops on the left needle and they’re all on the right needle. Take the right needle and place it in your left hand and put the empty needle in your right hand. Now it should be how you first started.  


STEP 4


Now it’s time to do the knit stitch. For this row you will to use the knit stitch for the whole row. 



STEP 5


After you finish your row of knit stitches alternate between the purl and knit stitches for each row until you reach 4 inches, or your desired length for your swatch.




STEP 6

Now it’s time to bind off! To learn how to bind off your swatch check out my last blog post. After you bind of you’re done with your swatch!

 
If you were in  my position, would you have fixed the mistake i had made, or would you have just left it? 

White, Stephanie. You Can Knit!: Knit and Purl Your Way through 12 Fun and Easy Projects. Cincinnati, OH: Fons & Porter, 2015. Print.


4 comments:

  1. I would have fixed my mistake because that's how I am but looking at your final result, it's hard to tell where you messed up. You did a really good job. In the future, will you learn how to undo stitches to prevent mishaps like this one from happening again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment Janna! I have already learned a way to fix my knitting mistakes. It's a method called frogging. It may sound weird, but it works really well, and it's easy to do.

      Delete
  2. Hey Jackie! If I was in your position I would probably want to leave the mistake but in the end I think I would have fixed it because through my own experiences I have learned that to be a good knitter you should fix your mistakes or else the end product will always be a reminder of how you messed up. Although, I couldn't even tell where the mistake was made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback Sabica! I would've fixed my mistake too, but after all of the times I kept trying to redo my swatch I figured it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

      Delete