Saturday, December 31, 2016

Bird and Wreath Mobile

I decided to do a bird and wreath origami mobile since I wanted to create a larger project with more steps as well as to add more spice to my bedroom. The book uses two of previously taught origami to create the mobile, the flying saucer and the hen origami.

I had folded the hen origami first as I had learned it prior to the book. The book didn't really give me any tips, so there was nothing to really improve my folding.
image3.JPG
The flying saucer was an origami that I had not learned to fold and was my main concern to making this. The origami consists of multiple parts being connected.

First, I made eight of the pieces. The pieces are made by a diagonal fold from corner to corner, then a fold of the bottom corner to the top corner (Nakano 28).
image8.JPG
A tip that is given in the book to make connecting the units together, "if you open the pocket by pressing down on the ridge... it makes it easier to tuck the point in" (Nakano 28). Unsurprisingly, this helped significantly on tucking all of the pieces together.
image7.JPG

One thing that I had not thought of folding the flying saucer was gluing the pieces together since my perception of origami has been strictly to folding. When sticking the pieces together, "Make sure each point fits tightly into the pocket and fix it in place with a little glue" (Nakano 28). This made it stabler and held it together even when I accidentally dropped it.
image5.JPG
The final step was to attach it all together into a mobile. The book tells us to use cotton thread and needle. The thread goes through the middle of the hen, then to the center of the saucer with a piece of scotch tape to prevent the hen from slipping (Nakano 34).
image2.JPG
It now hangs on the ceiling of my room and looks great. Does anyone else know any more decorative origami? I would love to have a whole matrix of hanging origami.
image1.JPG

2 comments:

  1. Hey there Sherry! It's Austin

    I really liked your Origami and I think that is really exciting that you are into room decor. I did not really know that origami was/could be used for room decoration. I understood that it was mainly used for art, but i din't know about room decoration.

    I do not know any decorative origami particularly. But Sherry, have you thought about doing an animal that particularly fascinated you. Maybe you could do one of your pet (if you have one), or an animal that your really like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only actually thought of room decor recently since my room has mostly been the same drab thing for nearly three years. An animal that I would like for the center would be a giraffe, but I'd have to grab another origami book or look a design up since there is unfortunately none in the book I have currently.

      Delete