Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Decorating Cupcakes with Many Techniques - Post #2

Decorating pastries is a relaxing hobby that I enjoy a lot. There are so many techniques and tools to help you with decorating. There are also so many designs that you can create. I will be using many piping designs for this post. To first create piping designs you need disposable piping bags with different shaped tips to use. Next, you need icing that is not too stiff nor runny to help with controlling placement (63). The tips for the piping bags I used are the plain tips and star shaped tips. The plain tips are used for lines and simple designs and the star shaped tips are for more complex designs like flowers.



After baking the cupcakes, I let them cool down for about 10 minutes. Then, I put chocolate frosting in the piping bags to decorate. I used three different tips. I used a plain tip, a star shaped tip and ribbon nozzle tip. To create most of these designs you need to hold the piping bag at an angle.



To make simple lines, the book recommends, "Holding the piping bag at a 45-degree angle and 5mm above the surface, then pipe towards you, securing the beginning of the line to the surface with a little pressure" (64). At first, I had a hard time trying to make the endings of the lines sharp and clean. But I noticed that holding the piping bag at an angle really helps with the precision of where the frosting is going to begin and end.


The last design is the flower (rose) design which uses the star shaped tip. To make this design the book suggests to, "Press out some icing to the size of the rosette you want, lifting the bag slightly to give the rosette space (64). By lifting the piping bag, it gives the flower a more realistic look to it. My favorite design was the flower. It makes the cupcake look very elegant.

Question: What other techniques should I try to make the pastry look elegant?

First Cake Decorating: Simple Cake Designs for Beginners. London: Collins & Brown, 2014. Print.

8 comments:

  1. I think your cupcakes turned out really good, and a lot better than mine. You could also use a petal tip to make a rose, which could make your cupcakes look more elegant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think that your cupcakes turned out very nice also. I'll definitely need to try that next time I decorate my cupcakes

      Delete
  2. Hey Philicyanna,
    I like how your cupcakes turned out and also like how you took step by step photos.To answer your questions on how to make you cupcakes look more elegant is that when i decorated cupcakes before i first made sure that the texture of the frosting was what i wanted which is smooth and creamy like. For when actually decorating the cupcakes i recommend practicing first so that the icing and cake ration is even throughout the cupcake.. I recommend looking up photos on pinterest or somewhere to get an idea of what i mean. Overall your cupcake look pleasant to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback! I try to make multiple cupcakes so that I can practice and really work on perfected them. I know that I will absolutely use the icing technique that you shared with me. Again thank you for the comment.

      Delete
  3. Great job on the cupcake designs! I think that all of your designs were very elegant and I especially liked the flower design. I think that another technique you could try could be a landscape design, where there is a story being piped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! My favorite style of decorating has to be elegance. I haven't really tried many other styles of decorating, but I will certainly give a landscape design a try.

      Delete
  4. Hi Philicyanna! Your cupcakes look lovely! I honestly can't decorate cupcakes, for i have tried many times and failed miserably. But i have watched many baking videos and from those videos, another technique/design you can try to make your cupcakes look more elegant can be using multiple colors for your cupcakes, triple piping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Decorating cupcakes is a difficult process that takes much time and effort. I really enjoy it though. I like your suggestion about adding colors. I think that to make it elegant, light pastel type of colors would go along perfectly!

      Delete