Saturday, December 31, 2016

Knitting on Circle Looms: Part 2

Knitting a Hat


Finished Scarf
Hello everyone and welcome back to my blog! If you saw my previous post then you know that I have started knitting on circle looms for the first time and attempted to create a scarf. I have since finished the scarf and am starting a new project on my circle loom: knitting a hat!

Finishing my scarf was a bit difficult for me because I continuously lost my place while knitting and rushed the process. As a result, my scarf had many mistakes and wasn't up to my standard of quality. Learn to Knit on Circle Looms by Denise Layman, taught me that knitting can be a tedious hobby, "Be sure to take the time to lift off the bottom 2 loops on the pegs that have 3 loops...repeating 15-17 times" (Layman 18). Thus, taking your time and making sure you are correctly following the directions will not only help one become a better knitter but a better person as well. 


The mistake is in the middle of the photo.
Through knitting, I have found that when doing a project, activity or just in general, you should give it your complete and entire effort because failing to do so will result in a product that is poor quality. Layman underlined that the key to mastering knitting is to realize your mistakes and going back to fix them (Layman 18). Doing so will not only help with knitting but beyond that as well. I struggled with this while creating my scarf, so I was set on succeeding with my hat!

To knit a hat on a circle loom, you will need:
  • An adult sized circle loom 
  • Yarn
  • Yarn Needle
  • Loom hook

The Brim:

1. After gathering the materials you will need to create a basic "slip knot" and put in on the first peg of the loom. 
2. Wrap the yarn around all the pegs from the front to the back.  
3. Repeat this step once more. 
4. "Yarn over" by taking your loom hook and flipping the bottom yarn pieces over the peg. 
5. Repeat this step multiple times to the desired length and fold both ends over each other. (The brim of my hat was 14 stitches)

The Rest of the Hat:

1. Repeat steps 2-5 from "The Brim" after you have created the brim of the hat. (My hat will have about 15-17 stitches)

* The number of stitches depends on what size hat you want. 

Finishing:

1. After knitting your hat to desired length, cut off the yarn.
2. Cut off a piece of yarn that is about 2 feet and use a knitting needle to sew the string through the knits on the pegs of the loom, take your hat off the loom as well.
3. Pull the hat inside-out and tie the two strings at the top of the hat.
4. Pull the hat right-side out and you have created a hat!

I am very proud at the progress I have made while completing my hat. By learning through my mistakes from my first project, I am taking my time in completing this project. Now that you know about my first experiences in loom knitting: 

Do you think it is better to accept failure and move on if you keep making mistakes or to never give up? Tell me your thoughts below! 

Citation: Layman, Denise. Learn to Knit on Circle Looms: 10 Easy Projects! Berne, IN: DRG Pub., 2006. Print.




2 comments:

  1. I think it's important not to give up because making mistakes is normal, it shouldn't hold you back from succeeding. By taking your time, did your hat turn out as expected?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janna thanks for replying! Also, by taking my time and fixing the mistakes I made along the way, my hat turned out to look and feel great! I am really glad that I took my time on it instead of speeding through it because if I didn't, then I am pretty sure I would have messed up and not have liked it as much!

      Delete