Thursday, December 22, 2016

Simple Leaping Frog

The leaping frog origami has always been a fidgeting tool that I've always wanted to fold myself, but never took the time to learn. Now, I have a reason to learn origami and a reason to learn the leaping frog.

The version that I picked was fairly simple, seeing as the book I picked is called Easy Origami. The origami wasn't too hard to fold, but I did learn small quirks that had improved my folding.

At the first step, the book had already fixed a mistake that I had repeated time and time again. I have always folded the cross shaped folds, first by folding it in half from side to side, then folding once again. I never once unfolded the paper during this. But, in the book, they say to "fold opposite edges together in turn; crease and open up" (Nakano 8). I noticed that my folds were more even and sharper than they were before.

The book gives small tips when folding. In this piece, a strong fold needs to be made for the frog to spring up. For this fold to be made easier, it is recommended that it is done solidly with both hands (Nakano 8).
The final result looks simplistic and nothing like the ones that my family has folded before, but a fidgeting tool comes a long way. I could honestly spend hours with this thing.

I would like to learn the more complicated versions of the leaping frog. Could anyone send these same kinds origami to play with?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sherry,

    This origami frog design seemed very simple to me, which is why I like it so much. To add more complexities to it, I would suggest adding googly eyes and cutting out legs. This would just give your design more features.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing! I never thought it would be that simple. I had thought that I had to fold a completely different frog to have the separate legs.

      Delete