Friday, December 30, 2016

Soccer Throw-Ins

The next skill I needed to add to my repertoire was throw-ins. It is when you throw the ball back into play when it was put out of bounds, last touched by the opposing team. The goal of a throw in is to get the ball to a teammate so they can advance it forward.

I hit the field and started working on my throw ins. When I was just getting started, I was approaching these throws the wrong way. I have played basketball in the past and tried to make a throw in the same as a basketball inbound pass. I stood with my feet stuck in the ground and just used my arms for power in the throw.
So in the picture above, I had no momentum towards my target, and I didn't even have my shoulders squared up to my target. In my book it says, "Face the other team's goalie and thrown it to the sidelines in the right direction. Jump right back onto the field to be with the action when it occurs" (McCloud). So I took this information and kept working on getting better as a soccer player.
One of the things that was better in this throw was the momentum I created towards my target by getting a running start. Doing so increased my power in the throw because I engaged my whole body, not just my upper half. The running start also allows me to jump back into the field of play easier, since my momentum is carrying me in that direction already. Please leave me some feedback, let me know how I can improve my throws.

4 comments:

  1. You can improve your throw-ins by trying to increase the distance you can throw the ball and trying to be as accurate as you can at the same time. Also, work on receiving the ball back after the throw-in because that's going to help in the games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice Sim! Yeah I think that increasing my power in the throws would definitely be a big help. I have not tried to receive the ball after a throw in yet. I will go out and try that, it would be another great skill to add as I continue to grow as a soccer player. As always I greatly appreciate your comments, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice Sim! Yeah I think that increasing my power in the throws would definitely be a big help. I have not tried to receive the ball after a throw in yet. I will go out and try that, it would be another great skill to add as I continue to grow as a soccer player. As always I greatly appreciate your comments, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Garrett,
    I noticed one thing wrong about your throw-in, but other than that everything was great. You have to make sure that when you get a running start like that you don't pick up your back foot. If the ref sees you do that during the game they'll give the ball to the other team. Besides that I thought you post was excellent.

    ReplyDelete