Saturday, December 31, 2016

Drawing, Painting, and Photography - The Artist's Handbook

Through random times of the day i'll find myself holding a pencil sketching whatever comes to mind, on whatever paper that's in front of me. Never did I take the quality of paper into much consideration. 
While reading The Artist's Handbook By Ray Smith I found that the quality of paper can impact the piece of art and the texture of the drawing or even painting.

For my second post I decided to do a watercoloring of an apple. By using rough paper with small little indents "the pigment had settled in the hollows of the paper" making it more vibrant (Smith) Another plus side to using rough paper was that when the painting had dried it wouldn't fold over on itself making a clearer look. Deciding on what to watercolor was fairly easy as an apple was a classic and could come in different looks depending on the artist creating it. The apple first had to "been painted using just overall washes" to set the undertone, later on you'd continue layering the different shades including the shadow (Smith). After finishing up painting you could go over with a dry paint brush to soak up some pigment, leaving a type of highlight for the apple. 

Thinking back about the process of making the painting i noticed that the variation of colors used for the apple wasn't very wide. Is there any other color that i'd be able to add that'd make it pop? 

Using the the quality of paper to my advantage, what're some objects that i can paint that would benefit from this technique? 

4 comments:

  1. Hey Alida,
    I like how your an apple looks 3 dimensional. I see how the texture of the paper effected the outcome of the pigment. I have used watercolor before and used a plain art board but i didnt get the same effect that you have. Going to your question to make the apple pop is by adding a white streak to make it look shinny from a light source and try using less water to enhance the red alot more. Overall i liked how you showed multiple versions of the apple so we can notice the diffence. Now what do you think the best paper for watercolor would be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Krislyn! For the next time I'm water coloring I'll definitely keep that in mind. When looking at different picture references for the apple I can really see that white glare reflecting off the apple so I'll really have to try it some time. For me I believe that rough paper had the best outcome when working with watercolors. Just like the text had said the pigment really stuck into the cracks of the paper
    so it gave it more components of texture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there Alida,
    I like how you showed each step into water coloring the apple. I see how the water coloring gave a whole different perspective starting from the 1st step of the apple drawing. Agreeing with Krislyn's post, I believe if you added some white to the apple it will give more of a realistic feel too it. Other than that, your apple looks very detailed and it looks like you put a lot of effort into making it. Another object I think you should make is maybe a fruit bowl with different types of fruits inside it to upgrade just a single fruit like an apple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dylin! I totally agree with you and Krislyn as well, I think if I were to add a little white to the highlighted areas it would add a whole new dimension making the object, in this case the apple pop of the page. Creating one apple isn't much of a challenge as painting a whole entire bowl of fruit would be so I'll have to experiment with that sometime. I really appreciate your input, thanks a bunch!

      Delete