Monday, December 26, 2016

3-D Drawing and Sketching

        Hello, and welcome back to my blog! If you've seen my last blog, then you would know that I am blogging about drawing and sketching and my goal at getting better. On today's blog, I will be looking at drawing objects in 3 dimension. Not necessarily with shading, but for now, just simply making it look like whatever I'm drawing.
         If I come to draw something, just something I'm good at, I always add shadows to make it look more realistic. While I am still starting though, the author, Claire Watson Garcia, recommends to choose something to draw that is not too complicated, and instead of drawing every detail and every shadow, instead try to make it 3-D with what you see, omitting the shadows (Garcia 23). Though I still did add a little shading, for the most part, I thought that this drawing, with barely any shading, was one of my best drawings.



The scissors that I was drawing
  
My finished drawing of the scissors
        As you can see, there isn't much shading that I did this time, following the book's directions. I was pretty surprised how realistic it turned out. One thing I noticed though, is that the scissors don't look like they're at the same angle, which they're not supposed to, because I didn't add any of the shadows or anything. Another way that book helped me was how the author wrote, "...we need to draw only what we are able to see, not what we know is there. We know one blade of a scissors exists under the other, but we see only part of that blade - and that's the part to draw" (Garcia 27). When I put it into practice, by only drawing what I saw, I noticed that in order to make something look realistic, you don't need that much shading. Overall, I would say the book helped me with not taking so much time into adding the shadows, but instead drawing what you can and can't see, in order to make it look like what you're drawing.


What do you think? Do you agree with Claire Watson Garcia, or do you think shading and shadows must be present to make a drawing look realistic?


Garcia, Claire Watson. Drawing for the Absolute and Utter Beginner. New York,
     Watson-Guptill Publications, 2003.

No comments:

Post a Comment