Friday, December 30, 2016

Soccer Corner Kicks

In my journey to develop my skills as a soccer player, I knew that I would have to learn how to execute a corner kick. This is done after the ball is kicked beyond the goal line of the defending teams side, but not into the goal, and if it was touched by the defending team. The attacking team takes possession of the ball and it is placed on the corner arc where they can then restart play and put the ball back into the field. So when I went out and tried to start practicing my kicks, I was leaving the ball too far away from the goal. Even if my own team was able to get the ball, they would be too far away to do anything with it. 

As seen above, I kicked the ball too hard and over my teammates head. In a game this would lead to turnover, and that is not what you want to do with a corner kick. In my book Soccer Strategies: The Top 100 Best Ways To Improve Your Soccer Game, by Ace McCloud, it says "Most of the you will not be able to kick straight at the goal and get a good shot" (McCould). So like in the video above, I tried to kick a straight shot toward my teammates, and it was not successful. I needed to try and curve my kick so it could get closer to the goal and give my team a chance to put the ball in the net.
In this last kick, I was able to bend the ball closer to goal. As a result of that, I led my teammate towards the goal, making it easier for him to convert it into a score. I really had to practice working the ball from right to left, it is not easy to bend the ball to where you want it to go. Give me some feedback, do you like to kick your corners on the ground or in the air? What are some tips you guys have that might help me improve my own kicks? 

3 comments:

  1. I like to take my corner kicks in the air because if it's on target it's going to be easier for your teammate to score a goal. I think you can improve your corner kicks by practicing kicking them both in the air and on the ground and just trying to get the ball to your teammate as many times as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the input Sim. In my short experience I preferred taking my corner kicks on the ground, but however I can definitely see how a solid corner kick in the air may be more beneficial. I was struggling to kick the ball into the air though, and like you said it will just take more practice to improve and get a good feel for it. I really appreciate you taking the time to give me some advice, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Garrett,
    I would have to agree with Simranjit that taking corner kicks in the air is my favorite. I feel like my teammates have a better opportunity to score a goal with their heads than with their feet. This could be different for you because I have tall teammates that can usually jump higher than our opponents. One tip I have for being able to kick the ball higher is too lean back a little bit when you kick. This will allow your foot to get under the ball more and provide more lift.

    ReplyDelete