Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Skin Care 101

If you are reading this, then you most likely have skin issues. No one has perfect skin. Whether it be blackheads, enlarged pores, acne/acne scars, oily skin, dry skin, you name it. Everyone has those specific problems with their skin that they would love to fix. If there is anything you must know about me it's that, I take quite the interest in skin care. As for most of us, our skin begins to become problematic around middle school.  I never had much of an issue with acne throughout 7-8th grade. However I had terribly oily skin. I would put layers of powder on my face just to avoid looking shiny or greasy. For so long I have searched high and low for any remedy for my oily skin, using every product that they tell you to use in those beauty magazines. That's why I've decided to combine my interest in skin care and my continual attempt at helping my skin by reading "Skin Cleanse" by Adina Grigore.

Displaying IMG_2121.JPG
just some of the cleansers/products I bought thanks to those professional "beauticians" a.k.a. the internet

For this blog post I thought I would start with something everyone would love to know more about; acne. Don't lie, we have all had a zit. Whether it was one pimple or you are constantly breaking out. We all know how frustrating acne is. "Acne is the results from your pores getting clogged by dead skin cells and too much sebum, and then aggravated by bacteria. The reason you get acne as a teenager is because your oil glands are growing in size and producing more oil than your skin actually needs" (Grigore, 10). Sebum is basically an oily secretion found in the sebaceous glands. Sebum is good for softening skin, it locks in moisture, and contains vitamin E which protects the skin from aging and cancer. However, sometimes we produce too much sebum and our skin begins to appear very oily and makes us more prone to acne and breakouts. Along with sebum, hormone imbalance can also be to blame for acne. Hormonal imbalance during puberty is very common, which is why most teens have acne. Seems like a no-brainer, am I right? Well the answer to fixing hormonal imbalance is also a no-brainer, except no one seems to use it. What foods you eat. Fat intake has a direct correlation to hormonal changes. But we'll get into diet in the next blog post

There is so much more that I can't wait to go into further depth of. For example oily/dry skin and why our skin reacts that way and how we can fix it, diet and how it affects our skin, and some DIY cleansers and drinks/foods that are amazing at clearing our skin.

So I would like to ask you, what's your skin story?

10 comments:

  1. Oh Jolie, this article was great, I truly did learn more. I never realized that foods can affect your skin, I mean I kinda did, but I wasn't truly sure yah know? Personally, my skin is a mixture of textures. Rough, smooth, oily, and dry. It's practically all of the above. What I've learned was that I beat my face with lotion, at night, and it "refreshes" my skin in the morning, so it beats out my textures and oily and dry skin. I also go through acne and pimples, horrid. I was recommended by my dermatologist about Epi-Duo and I couldn't have been happier in my own skin! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tia,
      I'm so glad you liked my post! And yes, foods can totally affect your skin, hair, energy, just about everything! That's why it is very important to take care of yourself and know what is going into your body and how it will affect you. I've found that using oils on my super oily spots counteracts the oils and I won't be shiny in the morning. I'm very glad you found something that works for you, everyone should be happy in their own skin :)

      Delete
  2. I'm absolutely enthralled with your blog posts, Jollie, and it's one of the few on here that I think I really connect with. It was written beautifully and hearing that food has a direct correlation on my acne was very interesting to hear about. I've had acne for a long time and I've done so much research, went to so many dermatologists and in all have probably spent 2,000 dollars or so just on my face. Recently my face has been improving but acne has still taken a toll on my anxiety and self-confidence (there were even days I refused to leave the house or show my face). But, I think by now, this problem has been something that has fueled me to become a better person. I don't think I would have tried to improve so much on several things if it weren't for my acne because my main motivation was that if my other qualities stood out more than my acne, then it'd make it less noticeable. Thank you for writing this and I'm looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm so glad you liked my posts! Yes, food has a huge impact on how your skin appears. That's why it is very important to do research and watch what you eat. My acne has definitely decreased, last year it was really bad, and I believe the change is due to me taking better care of myself. I also reminded myself on my worst days that everyone has acne or any type of skin issue, because we are all human. No one should be judged because of acne, and I am glad to hear how you changed a negative aspect into a super positive one! Again, thank you for reading and liking my post!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this article Jolie! Especially because you have the same problem as me which is oily skin. I found it really interesting that different types of food can do different things to your skin. I definitely will take what I eat into consideration next time in order to help me improve my oily skin, because like you, I try anything to cover up the shine. Thanks for writing this article, I'm excited to see what you plan on writing next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, I am glad you liked my post! I totally understand, oily skin is the worst. It's the worst when I put makeup on, even with primers, it gathers in any crease and never stays due to the oil. I have found huge improvements with my skin ever since I quit dairy. I also try to look for anything food wise that may be negatively impacting my skin. Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  6. This article was great to read coming from someone who struggles with very dry skin that moisturizer can barely even fix! This made me a lot more comfortable knowing everyone struggles with acne or skin issues growing up. I know sometimes it feels like you're the only one with the problem skin. I really needed to read on all of that because I feel like makeup is always the answer over taking a break and just cleansing my skin without it for a few days. Thank you so much Jolie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eve, I completely understand where you are coming from. Whenever I have bad breakouts, it feels like I am the only person who is struggling with bad skin. However, when you look around, everyone has their own issues with skin. Dry skin is very hard to work with, my sisters and mom struggle with very dry skin. Weather has always made a huge difference for my skin. During the winter it is very common for skin to dry out due to the lack of moisture. Have you ever thought about using a humidifier? Thank you for commenting!

      Delete