Wednesday, November 30, 2016

How to become a better shooter.

Solomon Kairu
Period 4
Hi. My name is Solomon Kairu and this is my first blog for the IRP Book for Quarter 2. What I chose as my book is "Basketball" by Clive Gifford. The main reason I chose this book is because basketball is sport that has been interesting me. I originally didn't like basketball much and I didn't start getting interested in it until the summer of 2015. I'm using this book to help improve my skills. To help improve my game. This book will help you improve your skills greatly, whether you are playing competitively on a AAU basketball team or just for fun with family and friends.

To start off this blog lets talk about shooting. Shooting is one way to score a point in basketball. Your shooting distance can determine how many points you get. For example if you shoot behind the 3 point line you will get 3 points. However, if you shoot inside the 3 point line you will only get 2 points. Since shooting is the main way to score points in basketball, besides layups, it's an essential and important skill for all players to have. "All players can contribute to a team with accurate shooting to score. The set shot is made with feet on the ground and chest square to the target" (Gifford 26). What this means is that all players on the court can greatly help the team win games with a good shooting accuracy to score 3 pointers. Scoring many 3 pointers and shots can lead to your team's victory. To have good shooting form, your chest area needs to be facing the hoop and your feet must be facing the hoop also. Your shooting hand should be underneath the ball while your weak hand stays to the side of the ball to guide it. After releasing the shot your shooting arm should look as if your wrist was being flicked.

This article has impacted me positively because I've improved my shooting accuracy more. I airballed less than I originally did and came closer to the rim than I did at the beginning. But remember this. Shooting isn't the only way to score. The other more easy way people can score points in basketball is layups. But that's a topic for next time. So now my question to you is this. Do you want to improve yourself and your game?
























4 comments:

  1. Hey Solomon,
    That was a nice and informative blog post. I've played basketball almost my whole life and seek to improve my shooting. Besides shooting the ball like regular people, pushing with your dominant hand and guiding with your less dominant hand, I usually find myself pushing and guiding with both hands. Do you recommend any tips to improve this habit? Overall I really enjoyed this blog post and yes, I do want to improve my game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dylin. Thanks for reading. I recommend that you use your legs more when shooting. If you're using both of your arms it probably means you don't have enough force to shoot from a far distance, such as behind the 3 point line. So I recommend using you legs more when shooting since they give you more force. Either that or increase your arm strength to shoot farther.

      Delete
  2. Hey Solomon,
    I completely agree with you, and the statements from the author. I think that it's very important to not only line your body up with the rim, but also your feet. From the way you described it, the author is doing a great job at helping you improve your shot and form. The only thing you need to do now is just practice and keep putting up shots. That's the only way you're going to continue to get better. Your blog post was great and I hope you keep improving. I did have one question though, when you shoot your shot what are you supposed to look at? The front of the rim?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cruz for reading my blog. When I shoot I normally look at the rim. But that's what I normally do. Hopefully this will help you improve your skills and accuracy.

      Delete