Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Learn Drawing Quickly: Texture

For the IRP Quarter 2 project, I wanted to incorporate a new skill into my life. I have done many drawings in the past. Mainly very ground based sketches such as stick figures. Over the years, I began to be less interested in drawing. For one thing, I became discouraged because I'm not the best artist. Second, I didn't have as much time to keep drawing and it wasn't my number one favorite thing to do in the first place so I just disregarded it.

In this quarter, I hope to improve. Not necessarily becoming professional by all means, but just to gain a few new skills and be able to draw more than just stick figures. One specific area I look forward to in this project is seeing my overall development in the artistic field.

In my opinion, I think that art carries a deeper meaning beyond just the portrait itself. What I like about art is that anyone from anywhere can interpret it through their own experiences in life. To add on, I believe art isn't something one can achieve overnight. It is a skill in which it takes time and practice in order to see the progression.

For my first sketch, I drew something really simple. A clove of garlic. I did a scratch like surface to show texture in the drawing, as it says in Learn Drawing Quickly (Finmark 15). Drawing lines over and over again to show that the garlic had more of a feel to it, even if it’s on paper. Learn Drawing Quickly says, “Using pen or pencil, you can make scratchy lines to show a surface, building up to overlapping lines to indicate the darker tones” (Finmark 15).




In any new skill one partakes in, I strongly feel you have to put your all into it. Even if you feel like it isn’t to the best of your abilities. Art aids in the growth of patience and gives you more of an understanding of the world around you, even in the simplest drawings.


Does art make you think beyond just aesthetics?

No comments:

Post a Comment