Wednesday, November 30, 2016

3-D Geometric Origami

Nathan Cho
Geometric Origami

Origami is essentially the art of taking a 2-D object, a piece of paper, and creating a 3-D model like frogs, cranes, or even a rhombicuboctahedron.  In my life the closest thing I've done to origami was folding a paper in half, so when I choose my independent reading book, 3-D Geometric Origami: Modular Polyhedra by Rona Gurkewitz and Bennett Arnstein, I was a little overwhelmed by the intricate maneuvers. The book doesn't instruct you how to fold traditional origami but it teaches you how to create complex polyhedorns which, according to the book "A polyhedron is a three-dimensional figure made up of sides called faces, each being a polygon" (Gurkewitz, and Arnstein 4).  like a cube and the previously mentioned rhombicuboctahedron. Gurkewitz and Arnstein both instruct you through diagrams and symbols so it's be easier to follow the steps to create the shape. The book goes from easy to hard in the assembly of the module and as you go on many of the same folds and modules will be reused for the harder modules.

For my first module I created the Puzzle Cube which was constructed by Bob Neale. Since the book makes little use of words I'll be describing them alongside pictures of the instructions and how I did it.

So for the first step the book instructs you to take a square piece of paper and fold each corner to the opposite corner and then unfold it back into a square. Take a corners and the corner opposite to it and fold it into the middle to make a diamond shape.




In the second step it tells you to turn the figure around and fold the long top and bottom of the paper into the middle which should cause you to end up with a skinny diamond shape with two triangles sticking out on the top and bottom




You're then going to want to fold the tip of the two triangles into the center of the diamond



Then turn the diamond around so you see the smooth flat side and fold the paper in half and unfold it. Then using the fold line in the middle of the paper fold the end tips of the paper into the middle



You're going to want repeat these steps til you have three of these folded pieces and you'll want to fold them into each other.




 Overall the cube came out better than i thought but it still seems a little rough around the edges. One of the few problems that i'm struggling with is trying to fold evenly and i want to know from everyone who does origami, how do you make sure that can keep you folds straight and even?







4 comments:

  1. Nice job, Nathan! Origami has been a hobby of mine ever since I was a kid, and I have to agree with you that folding the paper straight and even is quite difficult to do. As for me, there isn't really any technique that I use to make sure that I fold the paper straight and even. I just try to do it gently and carefully. You did great, and base on the outcome of your origami, I think folding straight and even won't be that much of a problem to you. Good luck and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First off, thanks for commenting on my post and it's great to hear that you've enjoyed origami since you were a kid and after folding some more origami I can see how being careful and slow while folding helps

      Delete
  2. Nice job! I've been doing Origami for a couple months as a hobby but I have tried doing Origami before. I agree with you that while Origami is very relaxing it can be very difficult to fold the paper equally. When folding Origami I try to do it carefully but most of the time the results would be the same thing but it wasn't a problem if you're making something easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact that you've been doing origami for a couple months is great and after folding a couple more pieces I agree with you on how the outcome is usually the same when folding the pieces

      Delete