Monday, November 28, 2016

Realistic Drawing

Although I already have some experience in drawing, I wanted to expand on my current skills some more and improve in some areas I was lacking in. The main skill I wanted to develop in drawing realistically using a variety of techniques. So I purchased a book called "The Big Book of Realistic Drawing Secrets" by Carrie and Rick Parks.

The book techniques for drawing with great detail using very simple tools. It focuses mainly on human faces, but touches on objects and animals as well. It goes from basic techniques to more complex ones the farther into the book you go, and shows how certain tools may help you in capturing the image you want perfectly.

Before I begin, I should show what level I am currently at in drawing, so that I can show how I improve over time and get some feedback on what areas I should work on improving and maybe some advice.
So what do you think? What areas should I focus on improving first when I go into my next drawing?

Parks, Carrie Stuart., and Rick Parks. The Big Book of Realistic Drawing Secrets. Cincinnati, OH: North Light, 2009. Print.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Richie! I'm currently taking Commercial Arts and am also doing my IRP on drawing, and I consider myself fairly decent at it. The first thing I immediately notice is that though the cup has a lot of dimension and depth, the shoe is drawn from a very two-dimensional point of view, which looks odd when you see two objects next to each other at differing angles. I think for your next drawing, concentrate on drawing all the objects in the same angle. For example, the cup here is seen at a slightly-above angle, yet the shoe is seen looking straight from the side. I'd suggest trying to draw the shoe from an above angle, as you did with the cup. The shading is very good, and I like how smoothly the shading flows in the cup! One thing I'd note is that you should turn up the contrast, and have a wider scale of values, particularly more dark values. However, I'm very impressed with your shading and how gradient you made it, and how it flows so effortlessly from darker to lighter values. Great job, and I hope to see improvement on your next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry for responding late, but thank you for the advice. I has noticed it before, but it was too late to change the depth of the shoe. I will make sure to focus on that with my next post.

      Delete