Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Drawing Simply


        Hello, my name is Alina Tarasevich, and welcome to my blog! My IRP blog posts theme will be drawing, and how to get better. I used the book Drawing for the Absolute and Utter Beginner by Claire Watson Garcia. Though I am not a super skilled artist, I decided to do this because I figured that with some practice, and tips, I could get good, and possibly even get faster at drawing accurately.        
        In general, my drawings aren't the worst, when I really try. But the thing is, they always take me so extremely long to draw. For example, to draw maybe even just a cup would take me a good 20 minutes, maybe even more, because I'd try to get it perfect. But this book points out that it's okay to not have a perfect drawing, and it's okay if there are faults in your drawing, or your drawing looks kind of weird, or disproportional. While you're still drawing, it may look super weird and disproportional, but in the end, it doesn't look so bad, and you can barely tell (Garcia 26). I can say this from my own experience, even with this cup drawing here.
The original cup I was trying to draw.
It's kind of hard to get the same perspective on camera as I was looking at, and the camera kind of distorts the cup. But this is the general idea.
My finished drawing


Here is my final drawing of the cup. I really thought it was going to turn out worse, because it looked very disproportional as I was drawing it. Then, as I started drawing more, and in the end it didn't look so bad, and it kind of resembles the cup I was trying to draw. "Once you're finished, you'll be surprised how little a few mismarks will matter - what is seen at viewing distance is different from what you see at 'doing distance'" (Garcia 26). I never really thought about what this meant, until I experienced myself, then I totally understood it. Though I could see there's something wrong with it, my brain can't pinpoint it exactly. But still, in the long run, it doesn't look too bad, right? 


Let me know what you think in the comments! What should I draw next time? Are you an artist? How could I fix my drawing so it would look more realistic? 


Garcia, Claire Watson. Drawing for the Absolute and Utter Beginner. New York,
     Watson-Guptill Publications, 2003.









6 comments:

  1. Hey Alina, I have the same problem. I think drawing takes way too long, I'm not patient when it comes to it. But when I actually take my time, it seems to turn out all right. Your drawing turned out better than what I imagine mine can come out to. But something that I have learned is that when you had shades to create a shadow you have to use and eraser or a tissue to get a smooth look and not be able to see the pencil marks, that'll make it look more realistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your advice, Angela! I agree that I should've smoothed out my pencil marks and shadows. I will make sure to include that in my next drawing!

      Delete
  2. Hi Alina, great drawing! I am the same way when it comes to drawing, it takes me a long time since I try to get everything perfect. I like how you mentioned though that it's okay if your drawing isn't perfect. I am also working on improving my drawing skills this quarter, and I agree with you that when drawing something, it may seem disproportional or not very good at first, but in the end it turns out better than you expected. One thing you could do to make your drawing more realistic is to blend the shading a bit more so it looks smoother. But overall, I think you did a fantastic job on your drawing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel! I also agree with you that I should've made my shadows smoother. Maybe I could've smoothed it out with a cotton swab, my finger, or maybe even an eraser. Thanks for your advice, I will try to incorporate your advice into my next drawing!

      Delete
  3. Hi Alina. You should focus on developing different values of shadows to add some depth into the cup and make the shadows look smoother. Also, using different pencils and tools for strait lines and clean ovals could help the drawing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Richie! I agree with you as well that my shadows were not as smooth as I wanted them to be, and could improve on that. And yes, maybe in the future I could possible look into buying more professional tools and different kind of pencils to help my drawing.

      Delete