Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Getting Started: Knitting on Circle Looms

Knitting on Circle Looms!


Hello everyone and welcome to my blog! My name is Sabica Nasar and here you will follow me through my journey of mastering the art of knitting on circle looms! 

I have always wanted to learn to knit because I love the comfort of fluffy scarfs and blankets, especially in the winter time, so I decided to take up knitting as my new hobby. 

Learn to Knit on Circle Looms by Denise Layman, teaches the benefits of knitting and of course, how to knit on circle looms! This was my first time knitting and I realized the patience and work it takes to master the art of this hobby. I decided to knit a comfy scarf which goes perfectly with the cold weather we are currently experiencing!


Getting Started

First, I had to get all of the supplies from Jo Ann Fabrics. They have enormous amounts of yarn, I didn't know where to start! But I finally decided on simple grey colored yarn.

You will also need a circle loom. Circle loom knitting is very different from normal needle knitting since it involves circle looms and no needles. Although, they create the same end results if you are creating something simple such as a scarf. Circle looms come in many different sizes and are perfect for beginners like me!

Layman emphasizes that knitting on looms is a fun and easy hobby to master and allows one to relax and alleviate the stresses of the day (Layman 15). This shows the importance and benefits loom knitting produces. In addition to being a practical and interesting hobby, knitting showed me a community I never knew existed!

The materials you will need to begin knitting on circle looms are:
  • A circle loom (any size)
  • Yarn
  • Knitting loom hook
Circle Looms


After 30 minutes of knitting
After gathering all of your materials, the fun part begins! 

First, you have to make a basic knit on the loom. Then repeat that for the amount of pegs you have decided to start with. (I decided to go with 17 pegs). Next, you keep repeating this step until the last peg. Then go the opposite way, making a "purl stitch" for every other peg. This creates a fun and interesting texture. 

Almost finished!
Knitting involves lots and lots of repetition, "Work your piece repeatedly to get the desired length of your scarf" (Layman 7), but once you get the hang of it, you can knit practically anywhere! I have been knitting while watching TV, in the car and pretty much anywhere I have free time. I have also realized that you need to have patience and precision while knitting because if you mess up on one peg, it ruins the rest of you product!

Although knitting a scarf may seem like an insignificant achievement, once you finish your creation you can feel proud knowing that it was you who created a thing that will be used multiple times!

Now that you know a little bit about me and my new favorite hobby, would you take up knitting as a hobby and if you do or already have, then how do you think knitting will improve or maybe worsen your patience?

Citation: Layman, Denise. Learn to Knit on Circle Looms: 10 Easy Projects! Berne, IN: DRG Pub., 2006. Print.

2 comments:

  1. Knitting has improved and worsened my patience. It's very time consuming so that certainly improves patience, but most of the time I want to give up after a couple of hours because of how long it takes. Is knitting a hobby you can see yourself doing years from now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Janna, thank you for replying to my question! I think that knitting is a hobby I would continue doing long term but only on occasion because like you said, it really is a time consuming hobby. Although, it is also a special skill to have and puts much more meaning in the product you are making!

      Delete