Saturday, November 26, 2016

Outdoor Photography with Dylin Wen

Outdoor Photography with Dylin Wen

These past few years, photography has called out to me, even if I may not be that talented. Everyone has that slightest photogenic side of themselves that may find its way out at any moment. Like many others, I only know the basics of taking a photo, whether it's tapping a button on your phone to snap a quick picture or smashing the circular button on your camera to capture something quickly passing by. For this project, I chose the book "Outdoor Photography Handbook," by L.L.Bean to help me dive more in depth with photography.

"Another aspect of photography that has always motivated us is that it can take you to some of the most interesting and beautiful places on earth. It also can introduce you to fascinating people, customs, and ideas that you might not have known without the magic of a camera and film" (L.L.Bean xii). Photography has many outputs and can introduce you to new things you never knew about.

These are the most common types of aperture sizes.

Aperture

Aperture is the measurement that indicates the size of the lens opening (L.L.Bean 6).  The size of the aperture determines how much light will reach the film, a small transparent plastic sheet that determines the sensitivity, contrast, and resolution of the photo. To the right I made a quick visual of different size f-stops. The size of the f-stop determines the aperture diameter in millimeters.


The photo above was not focused.
The one below was focused.

Aperture Example

"Aperture controls depth of field, the amount of the image frame that will be in sharp focus" (L.L.Bean 8). For my sample picture, I decided to use a maple leaf I found while walking around my neighborhood. On the original photo on the left, you could see everything in the photo clearly, my hand, the leaf, and the cement. For the second photo below, I used the same exact location and leaf but I changed the size of the aperture to F/2.8, which decreased the diameter of the lens, focusing onto the leaf and my hand. Focusing onto these two objects represented their importance and showed they were the spotlight of the photo instead of the background cement.

So far, this book has taught me very valuable techniques and skills needed to take a photo, especially the importance of the lens aperture. I look forwards to reading more and discover new tips and tricks. Do you guys like taking pictures too?

3 comments:

  1. Hey Dylin!
    I really enjoyed reading your post as it was very informative. I myself like taking pictures and for my next post I'm going to do it on photography so this for me was very helpful. I know that aperture should be changed based on the type of setting/environment you're in so do you have any suggestions on the aperture i should have when indoors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my post Alida! Personally, I think it all depends on what you want the product of the picture to turn out as when you're taking a photo indoors. The aperture doesn't depend on if the photo is indoors or outdoors but it depends on how much of the image you want in the photo.

      Delete
  2. Hey Dylin,
    This was a very helpful blog. I like to take pictures whenever i visit places that I have never been too and I know that to get a really good picture you need to have a good focus. But i never really know about aperture that changing it in different places can change the outcome of the photo.

    ReplyDelete