Wednesday, November 30, 2016

The First Strategy for Becoming a Better Soccer Player

Growing up, I was involved in many different sports and soccer was one of the biggest ones. In second grade I made the switch from soccer to football and kind of regretted it. That’s why I chose the book “Soccer Strategies,” by Ace McCloud. I have an athletic background so my footwork is good, but that’s only the basics that’s needed to become a successful soccer player. I’m not trying to be the next Cristiano Ronaldo, but being able to impress my family and friends who are soccer lovers would be pretty cool. The book “Soccer Strategies,” claims to have “The Top 100 Best Ways to Improve Your Soccer Game.” Having this on the cover really caught my eye and it seemed to be exactly what I needed.
               The first strategy the book lists is the endurance of the player. Page 13 tells us that it is highly recommended that players have an activity outside of soccer that keeps them in shape and conditioned (McCloud 13). Luckily for me, I play basketball at Kentridge. Coach Jamison doesn’t take conditioning lightly, and has us run for very long periods of time. This is a bonus for me because my endurance and stamina will most likely be higher than someone else that didn’t play a sport in the off season.
               Ace McCloud also offers helpful YouTube links that give a visual representation of great workouts that can be done to improve your endurance. One example of Ace’s helpful tips also comes from page 13, when he says “Here is a good YouTube video from MOVE-MENT you can check out called: Run Faster in one week! DO THIS!!!” (McCloud 13). I’ve only been doing these workouts for a few days but I’m already starting to see some results. I’ve become quicker on feet and have started coming in first during conditioning at basketball practice.


               So far, this book has taught me many things that are needed to become a better soccer player. It covers everything from what you eat, your mentality, physical abilities, and drills that will help you become better with dribbling and shooting. 

What do you guys do to stay in shape and maintain endurance? Is soccer one of the most popular sports at Kentridge? Slide your opinion in my comments👍

McCloud, Ace. Soccer Stategies. N.p.: n.p., n.d. Print.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with the author that having good endurance is important to become a good soccer player because in soccer you won't be jogging a lot but instead sprinting a lot and if your endurance isn't on the same level as your opponent you won't be able to keep up them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you Simranjit. If your opponent is out running you and beating you to every ball, it shows that he worked harder than you in the off season. Your coaches will notice this and you'll start to get less playing time. That's why endurance is the most important thing to improving your overall game. If your endurance doesn't at least match your opponents, then you're going to get beat every time.

    ReplyDelete