Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Origami: A revisited hooby

Origami has been a hobby that I've wanted to further expand on since the most I've been doing has been folding square sheets of paper into paper cranes to make a wish. I chose to expand my horizons and fold more intricate pieces as well as make my folding look clearer. 

One of folds I've struggled with the most since I've started origami is the beginning folds from corner to corner. The book Easy Origami by Dokuohtei Nakano gave a solution to this problem. They give a tip after joining the opposite corners, "Place the top two corners exactly together with your forefingers. Still holding the corners together with your forefingers, make a crease along the bottom with your thumbs. Firmly press the crease, using your thumb as an iron" (Nakano 5). I tried this technique, this resulted in a clean line with a clean line that did not show any of the plain side of the paper. 


I decided to fold a simple sea bird because if I had failed in my folding, then I could test it by attempting to float the origami bird on water. By using the already folded paper, I folded a sea bird provided by the book itself. The bird was created from folding both ends to the crease and reverse folding to create the simple piece (Nakano 50). Sure enough, the bird could float and ensured that I did not miss fold any vital parts. While it couldn't float for very long, the surface created showed that I folded correctly.

Does anybody has a suggestions on improvement such as tips or more complex origami?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sherry,
    I like how your blog post is detailed but not too long. I also like how to you tested the origami bird by placing it in water. As for your question, a good place to find all kinds of levels of origami is on youtube since they're actual detailed videos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've definitely seen a few origami videos on Youtube, but I've never really explored them. Now that I think about it, the video tutorials would certainly be easier to understand.

      Delete